Recruiting Skilled International Teachers with a Sponsor Licence

Teacher And Student In Classroom

As a citizen from a foreign land, you might wonder how you can find a sponsoring job in the UK. As a matter of fact, you must remember that you cannot apply for just any job or company in the UK. You can only apply to an organisation with a Sponsor Licence for a work permit, the Tier 2 work permit visa.

Since teaching comes under the list of occupations in the Tier 2 visa, this is applicable to teachers as well. If you live outside the UK, you will need a job offer from a licensed school in the UK to be eligible to live in the country for work. In case you are a student studying in the UK, you will need to obtain a job offer from a licensed company before your student visa expires with a salary package that matches the salary requirement needed for the job. You will also have to apply for a new work permit visa to extend your duration of stay in the UK.

The points-Based Immigration System

The UK had introduced a points-based immigration system on January 1st, 2021. This will affect how schools employ foreign teachers who are not the UK or Irish nationals. All the overseas nationals who are arriving in the UK starting January 1, 2021, to work, including the ones from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, come under the points-based immigration system.

All the Irish nationals are allowed to enter, study, and work in the UK under the Common Travel Area as they were doing previously.

How Can a School Sponsor a Teacher’s Work Visa?

As an initial step, you need to ascertain whether your local authority or academy trust holds a sponsor licence or not. If not, then your school can apply for the license. Next, you will be required to complete the Resident Market Labor Test. Shortage Occupation List Subjects like Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry do not need to take this test. This test will demonstrate that you have not been able to source a qualified teacher in the UK.

Post this; you can apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) through the online Sponsorship Management System. You will get access to CoS through a Sponsorship License. The Sponsorship Management System works as a portal through which you can track your application process. It is better to consult an immigration consultancy to know more about tier 4 sponsor licence.

All the applications must be received by the 5th day of every month in order to be considered in that month’s allocation meeting. The allocation meeting will determine whether your CoS is granted or not and takes place on the first working day after the 10th day of every month.

Once the sponsor licence UK application is successfully granted, the CoS will be issued to your school. These details can later be shared with the candidate, who can then apply for a work visa with a 2-4 weeks processing time.

How can Osbourne Pinner help you?

At Osbourne Pinner, we are a team of highly experienced and qualified specialist litigation, family and immigration law solicitors in London. We specialise in providing top-notch legal services to our clients. If you are looking to seek legal advice or sponsor licence solicitors for your visa applications or understand the UK’s immigration laws to improve your chances of application approval, feel free to connect with our team of specialists. Our immigration law firm will help you every step of the way to enable you to speed up your immigration process and fulfil your dreams of teaching in the UK.

Teaching vacancies are regularly posted in the UK Governements Teaching Vacancies site

Contact us today to secure your teaching position in the UK.

Latest Updates

Browse by Category