If you’re a UK-based business that wants to sponsor foreign workers or students, you will need a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence. The UK government requires this licence and allows businesses to employ non-UK residents legally. We will discuss everything about the Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application process, including guidelines, changes, updates, processing time, documents required, and fees.
What is a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence?
A Tier 2 Sponsor Licence (previously known as the Tier 2 work visa) is permission granted by the UK Home Office to a UK-based organization that allows it to employ skilled workers outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
The sponsor licence enables employers to sponsor skilled and highly-qualified migrants to come to the UK to work for their organization in a skilled role. The license is valid for four years and can be renewed or extended depending on the employer’s needs.
How to apply for Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application?
The Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application process can complete online through the UK government’s website. However, before you apply, you must ensure that your business meets all the requirements for the Tier 2 Sponsor Licence, including having appropriate HR systems in place, being able to offer a suitable salary, and complying with UK immigration laws.
Once you have established that your business meets the requirements, you can begin the application process. It involves completing an online application form, providing supporting documents, and paying the relevant fee.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application Documents Required
- Trading presence evidence: Documents that provide evidence of the organization’s trading presence in the UK. It can include business bank statements, VAT registration certificates, tax returns, or lease agreements.
- Employer’s liability insurance certificate: A certificate of employer’s liability insurance for at least £5 million from an authorized insurer.
- PAYE registration proof: Proof of registration as an employer with HMRC – i.e., PAYE and Accounts Office Reference Number.
- Premises proof: Proof of ownership or lease of business premises or rent agreement.
- List of Key Personnel:A list of the key personnel who will sponsor migrant workers, including their names, job titles, and contact details.
- Job Description:A detailed job description for each role the organization intends to sponsor a migrant worker for.
- Advertising methods: Evidence of the methods used to recruit resident workers for the roles in question.
- Migrant Worker Information: Information about the proposed migrant workers, including their names, dates of birth, and passport details.
- Certificate of Sponsorship(CoS): The sponsor must issue the certificate of Sponsorship(CoS) to each migrant worker they wish to employ. The CoS contains information about the role and salary offered and used by the migrant worker to apply for their visa.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application Fees
The sponsor licence application fee for a Tier 2 sponsor in the UK is £536 for small sponsors. However, if your business is a medium or large sponsor, the fee is £1,476. It’s important to note that this fee is for the initial application only and does not include any additional charges or fees that may be necessary during the application process.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application Processing Time
The processing time for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application can vary depending on the complexity of the application and the number of applications processed by the UK government at the time. Generally, it takes around eight weeks for an application to be processed, but this can be longer if additional information is required or if there are delays due to exceptional circumstances.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application Guidelines
- Eligibility criteria:First, the employer must ensure that they meet the eligibility criteria for applying for a sponsor licence. It includes having a genuine need for the overseas worker and being able to provide evidence of their trading presence in the UK.
- Gather supporting documents:The employer must gather at least four specified supporting documents as evidence of their trading presence in the UK. These documents could include business bank statements, VAT registration certificates, or lease agreements.
- Complete the application form: The sponsor licence application form get completed online, and it requires the employer to provide information about their organization, the proposed migrant workers, and the specific roles and responsibilities of each worker.
- Submit supporting documents:The employer must upload the required supporting documents and the application form. The documents must be clear and legible and in a format that can be easily accessed and downloaded.
- Provide a cover letter: The employer must also provide a cover letter that includes background information about the organization, its history, the size of the workforce, and the anticipated future growth of the company.
- Pay application fee:You must pay the fee for the sponsor licence application at the time of submission. The fee varies depending on the organization’s size and the license’s length.
- Comply with sponsor guidance:After granting a sponsor licence, the employer must comply with the sponsor’s guidance. It includes keeping up-to-date records of all foreign workers, tracking and recording employee attendance, and ensuring compliance with immigration rules to prevent system abuse.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application changes
- Eligibility criteria:Employers must now provide evidence that they offer a job that meets the skill level and minimum salary requirement specified under the new system.
- Supporting documents:Employers may need additional documents, such as evidence of the migrant worker’s qualifications or proof of English language proficiency.
- Application form:Employers must now provide more detailed information about the proposed migrant worker, including their occupation code and annual salary.
- Application fee:The fee now varies depending on the license type and the organization’s size.
- Sponsor guidance:Employers must now comply with the new system to prevent abuse of the immigration rules and ensure they keep up-to-date records of all foreign workers.
Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application updates
As of 2023, the Skilled Worker visa replaced the Tier 2 route, and the Tier 2 sponsor licence application process has also updated. The application process for a Skilled Worker sponsor licence is now done online through the Sponsor Management System portal.
The application process involves providing information about your business, including its structure, ownership, and finances. You will also need to give details about the types of workers you intend to sponsor and why they are required.
Additionally, you will need to show that your business is compliant with immigration laws and that you have appropriate HR systems in place to manage sponsored workers. The processing time for a skilled worker sponsor licence is up to 8 weeks.
How Osbourne Pinner Can Help You?
The Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Application process is essential for UK businesses that wish to employ non-UK residents. It is vital to ensure that your business meets all the requirements and has all the necessary supporting documents before beginning the application process. The processing time for the application can vary, and it is essential to stay up-to-date with any changes.
Do you wish to get most updated information on Tier 2 Sponsor Licence? Then, Get in touch with us!
We offer 30 minutes free of charge initial consultation which takes place at our offices or through a video conference. (Whatever mode you prefer)!
If you would like us to book you for this free consultation, then give us a call on 0203 983 5080 or fill the online enquiry form. We will contact you in no time!