How to work in the UK after completing studies?

Person With Flag Before London Bridge

For international students, the United Kingdom has traditionally been a desirable study location. However, staying in the UK after completing your course might be tough. However, when applying for a UK start up visa, you have various alternatives to choose from, and you should carefully consider each one before determining which is best for you. The time it takes for your sponsor to issue a certificate and a visa to be processed can be lengthy and tiresome, for which you can hire a visa solicitor for assistance. Although usually, you need to complete your course before applying, you should prepare and plan in advance.

Graduate Worker Route

Previously, holders of a bachelor’s or master’s degree could only stay in the UK for four months to search for work. In the light of recent changes, students who want to enrol in courses beginning in 2020/21 will be able to stay for an additional two years once the course is completed. However, you can apply for a three-year Graduate Route Visa if you have finished a PhD.

Start-up Visa

In order to be eligible for a UK start-up visa, you should be endorsed by a UK higher education institution or a business organisation with a decent track record of helping entrepreneurs in the UK. You must also be able to present that you have a feasible, new, and unique company idea. You can stay for 2 years if you:

  • Obtain a UK start-up visa to enter the United Kingdom
  • Switch to another business visa while staying in the UK.

Skilled Worker Visa

An employment offer is required for the Skilled Worker Visa. This Visa requires candidates to have received a job offer. Plus, a certificate of sponsorship (COS) from their company.

Before you need to extend your visa, it can last up to 5 years. When your skilled worker visa expires or if you change your job or employer, you will need to apply to renew or amend it.

Global Talent Visa

If you’ve been endorsed in the field of science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technologies, or arts as either a recognised or an emerging leader, you can apply for a Global Talent visa. An expert legal immigration solicitor will guide you for further details about the Global Talent Visa. You can work for yourself, for an employer or as a business director. Work in any industry; nevertheless, in order to prolong your leave or ask for settlement, you must show that you have been compensated for work in your field of expertise.

Government Authorised Exchange

This Government Authorised Exchange plan consists of 4 distinct programmes:

  • Work Experience Programme – for internships and work shadowing (12 months visa)
  • Research Programme – for work on a scientific, academic or government research project.
  • Training Programme – to carry out formal training in science or medicine, leading to a professional qualification. (24 months visa).
  • Oversea Government Language Programme – for language teachers to carry out teaching placements in the UK. (24 months visa).

If you want to access your eligibility and meet other visa requirements, then book a consultation with our expert UK immigration solicitor. We, at Osbourne Pinner, provide you with legal immigration solicitor and will assist you in determining the best path for staying and working in the UK. We will also assist you with all legal obligations to ensure that you do not incur any procedural infractions.

Contact us today to secure your status in the UK. Or read more about the student visa if you’re still weighing up your options for studying: Everything You Should Learn About the UK Student Visa

Latest Updates

Browse by Category